It's almost WWDC time. As always, I've already blocked my work calendar so I can watch the keynote live. Also, for the first time, I will be making my wishlist public. For years I've made lists like this one in private on Apple Notes. This year I'm excited that I have my own place to post these and start a sort of series where I can look back each year.
My favorite part of "WWDC season" is listening to the draft/predictions episodes from my favorite podcasts like Connected, Upgrade and App Stories. I also enjoy reading other people's wishlists, like this one from Jarrod Blundy. I was impressed on how Jarrod uses a shortcut for adding items throughout the year; a fantastic idea I will undoubtedly borrow.
I want to make clear that this is not a prediction list; they are my most wanted improvements for this year's iPhone, iPad, and Mac software updates. Most are minor quality-of-life updates that have been problems to me throughout the year.
Without further ado, here are my most wanted improvements for this year's lineup of updates:
Update 06/Jun/23 - I went back and added an emoji for the status based on what we know so far. A lot of them are so specific that I guess will remain unknown until I install the Public Beta (I made a promise to myself that I won't install the Developer Beta this year lol) I also made a list of my favorite features announced so make sure to check it out!
- 👎 Ability to reorder lockscreens like watch faces in watchOS.
- 👎 Add a second row of lockscreen widgets.
- 👎 More homescreen widgets sizes, like a 1x1 icon widget for example.
- 👍 Interactive widgets.
- 👎 Time-based widgets (like Widgetsmith).
- 👎 Allow apps to initiate live activities from other devices without the need to open the app - For example, if I start a timer on my Mac, I want the live activity to show up on the iPhone lock screen.
- 👎If I pause the now-playing media, the live activity and dynamic sound should not disappear immediately.
- 👍 Fuzzy spotlight search — if I search for a timer in spotlight, the clock app should show up for example.
- Reorder spotlight results (from Jarrod)
- 👎 Weather widget with a neutral background that does not change with the weather.
- 👍 Collaborative playlists in Apple Music — My wife created a playlist for both of us to listen to, but I can't add any music.
- 👎 Dedicated Passwords app.
- 👎 Calendar sets on the calendar app, similar to Fantastical.
- 👎 In the Photos app, allow to hide pics from the main library bit still shows them in albums.
- 👍 Allow me to name dogs similar to people in Photos.
- 👎In shared photo libraries, allow to remove a photo someone else added without having to delete it — Currently, you can only remove photos you added yourself.
- 👎 Open in... similar to Mac OS — When clicking on an RSS link, iOS shows a dialog that says Open his page on "app"?. But if you have multiple reading apps installed, you cannot choose the one you want. This should present a list of apps to choose from, similar to MacOS.
- Allow to change widget size without having to remove and add a new one, like in MacOS.
I primarily use my iPad Mini, so I don't care much about the Stage Manager debacle or making the iPad as powerful as MacOS. I mostly care about parity with ioS features and a few quality improvements for my use case.
- 👍 Feature parity with iPhone — Add multiple lockscreens, Live Activities, and lock screen widgets.
- 👎 Sync home screen layouts between multiple iPads, like TvOS syncs app layout between all the Apple Tvs in your home.
- 👎 Add a single-day calendar view with no side column.
- 👎 Improve home screen app layout for iPad mini — Currently there is a lot of extra space in the sides, it could easily fit an extra column/row of apps.
- 👎 Improve how you view/manage multiple windows from an app.
- 👎 Bring back the split-view keyboard.
- 👎 Redesigne Control center for iPad to better utilize the screen size of the iPad.
Uff, the Mac is a tricky one because of how flexible it is. Nowadays, you can find third-party apps to customize anything you'd like on the OS. It would be nice if a few of those became native features.
- 👍 Widgets outside of the notification center, maybe on the desktop.
- 👎 Improved window management so I can stop using like 10 different apps to achieve window customizations.
- 👎 Window preview on app switcher like on Microsoft.
- 👎 Portrait sidecar - You can only use a sidecar in Landscape for some reason.
- 👎 Native split-view for apps like safari — similar to how Arc does it.
- 👎 Native focus mode for apps where they hide all the menu bars and sidebars.
- 👎 Rethink & merge full-screen apps, spaces and stage manager.
- 👎 Allow for 4 apps in Full Screen mode.
Even though I wear my Apple watch pretty much 24/7, I barely use the watch os itself apart from starting workouts each day. I mostly glance at the complications. Therefore my wishes here are few.
- 👎 More digital time watch faces. We currently have just the infographic ones. (1 in 6 people can't tell the time)
- 👎 Third-party watch faces.
- 👎 Small and Large Photo complications for infographic watch faces.
- 👎 Notification of watch battery on other devices.
We use Apple TVs as our primary media consumption devices for both our tvs at home. I would love to see a dedicated segment for TV OS this year, as in past years; it barely got any mention. I wish for them to go all in and tie TV OS to some sort of Home OS.
- 👎 Customizable screensaver — With widgets, date, weather, photos, cameras, etc.Our TVs are off for most of the day; I wish there was a way they could do a similar thing with the Oled screens as they do with the iPhone lock screen.
- 👎 An easier way of editing app icons, maybe from the iPhone like with Car Play.
- 👍 Improved and expanded control center Homekit controls.
- 👎 Native Homekit app with a multi-camera view.
- 👎 Home screen Widgets.
- 👎 Separate the apple tv+ app from the TV queue app.
Homekit & Siri
While Apple made significant improvements to the home app last year, I still think there are still a little behind.
- 👍 Timers on Homepods should be universal and not per homepod - When I setup a timer in the kitchen and ask for it the living room Homepod always says "no timers"
- 👎Revamped Automations - Ability to organize, group and rename them.
- 👎 Native If statements in automation.
- 👎 More icon options for all devices but specially for lights.
- 👎 Native support for Robot Vacuums.
- 👎 Home wallpapers sync across devices.
- 👎 Remove the useless discover tab and add a rooms tab.
- 👎 Better control center actions - being able to customize which items appear.
- 👎 Let me change a thermostat temperature from control center, not just the on/off state.
- 👎 I really wish that the rumored iPad docking station gets announced. Similar to google's Pixel Tablet dock.
I hope you liked the list. I don't think Apple will be able to address all of these issues, but I'm optimistic that they'll be able to fix some of them. I didn't include anything about the upcoming Apple headset because I haven't used any other headset operating systems before, and I don't know what to expect. I'm really looking forward to being pleasantly surprised, though!
Also, following Jarrod's idea, I might come back to this post and grade how each of the items after Apple's keynote is over. I can't wait for June 5!