This is a regular update my Now page. I publish them as a blog post for archive purposes. You can also view all my past now entries.
It's the end of the year, but before I turn the page (or mount a new calendar) and move on to 2023, I'd like to make a quick list of some of my favorite fun things from the year.
I could not finish as many games as I intended for 2022. The ones I could finish were Nintendo Switch games due to their portability.
My favorite games for the year are tracked in the Sofa app.
- Pokemon Violet has to be one of my favorite Pokemon games ever. The story was surprisingly good and even had me in tears a few times 😢. I also loved all the quality of play improvements made to the game mechanics, like the Let's Go feature.
- Pokemon Legends Arceus was a welcomed change to Pokemon games, and I loved the open-world concept.
- LEGO® Star Wars™: The Skywalker Saga: I have not finished the game yet but it’s been a fun nostalgia trip. I'm still back and forth between playing on the Switch or the PlayStation. The Graphics for the Switch version is not as great as the PS%.
- Mario Kart 8 continues to be my favorite multiplayer game to play with my brother or when we have guests over.
🧱 Lego Sets
I got back into Lego in 2022 thanks to a friend from work, and I enjoyed the fall wave of Lego Star Wars.
- Lego Ideas Home Alone was my favorite build experience of the year. So many easter eggs and details from the movies. It also makes for the perfect display model.
- Luke Skywalker's Landspeeder: I'm not a massive fan of the scale, but the color palette and a few fun building techniques made it the most fun set to build of the year.
- T. rex Breakout: I'm a huge Jurassic Park fan, maybe as much as Star Wars, which is saying much. This set is perfect; the T-rex, the cars, the mini-figures, and the diorama-style base make it a fantastic display piece. I wish Lego made dioramas like these more often.
🧸 Lego Mini-figures
- Obi-Wan Kenobi Episode II from 75333: Obi-Wan Kenobi's Jedi Starfighter
- C3PO with molded leg from 75341: Luke Skywalker's Landspeeder
- Commander Cody from AT-TE Walker
Check out my full Lego Collection page.
🏠 Smart Home Accessories
- Ikea MITTLED & SKYDRAG Lights: I use the MITTLED for the "cubes" and the SKYDRAG for the top shelves. Not only do they look great, but I can control the brightness via Homekit thanks to the new DIRIGERA Hub.
- Eero 6 +: This year, I restructured my wifi network setup, which gave me a chance to rethink my home kit accessories. The Eero 6+ was my fav, giving me speeds of 900mb+ combined with optic fiber.
- Lutron Diva Dimmer Switch: The newest update to the Homekit Lutron Switches can remember the last level brightness set, solving one of my main issues with the 1st iteration.
My favorite app this year has to go to Raycast. I use the app multiple times daily to open apps, launch shortcuts, find files, and more.
Check out my /uses page to see other apps and software I use daily.
✨ App Feature
- Figma's new component properties
- Figma's Native Sections
- Notion’s new Icons for columns
📺 TV Shows
I watched a ton of tv shows this year, and they were mostly good ones. Andor and House the Dragon were my biggest surprises as they captivated me weekly. As for comedy Acapulco's season 2 won over my wife and hearts, we love your memo.
- House of the Dragon
- Only Murderers in the Building
- Better Call Saul
As years pass, getting through an entire movie at home in one sit becomes more difficult. Hopefully, the new tv and tracking movies on Letterboxed will motivate me to watch more!
Follow me on Letterboxed.
After reading 10+ books in 2021, I proved to myself that I could be the book-reading type of person. Now that I have established that, I'm ok with reading things I enjoy more than books, like articles and blog posts.
I've never been much of a music kind of person. Most of the time, listening to the radio is enough for me, and I barely keep up with artists. Beyonce's album was on repeat for a month during my gym sessions, and Carly's new song — lives rent-free in my head.
- Renaissance by Beyonce
- The Loneliest Time by Carly Ray Jepsen
🖥️ Apple Products
📺 Non-Apple Products
- LG C2 77”
- Nintendo Switch Oled
- Magflott iPad Stand
☕️ Non-Tech Product
- Movie: tie between Jurassic World & Disenchanted
- TV Series: The Book of Boba Fett
- Most disappointing tech update: iPad
(Note: I used the great Sofa app to track most of the items in this list. Check my /uses page for other tools I use daily.)
Addendum 20/Mar/23: Added Peacemaker to the best TV Shows list, forgot it was on 2022.
Thanks to these excellent posts for the inspiration: